The North Pole Postal Service
apparently comes through Princeton and stops at the Historic Morven
Estate on its annual Christmas route. The grounds of the estate were
purchased by the Stockton family from William Penn in 1701. Richard
Stockton, one of Princeton's early residents, was a leading attorney in
the colonies and later a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Richard's wife, Annis Boudinot Stockton, a prominent poet, named their
lovely home "Morven" after a mythical Scots Gaelic kingdom found in the
ancient poems of Ossian.
Morven served as New Jersey's first Governor's Mansion from 1945
through 1981. In 1982, the Governor's Mansion was relocated to nearby
Drumthwacket. Morven was then converted into a museum and a formal
garden. Today, the estate welcomes visitors and presents the arts,
culture and crafts of the Garden State.